• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lap critique - Fox mustang, clockwise, dry track
They say the best way to get an answer from the internet is to post the wrong answer and let people correct you, so here's to that strategy-

This is my best lap time in my mustang - after many weeks (OK months but who's counting?) in the mid 1:30's, a few helpful drives with Steve at H2R, some tweaks to the car like brake pad / booster / master / pedals, racing seat, harness, and then finally a new (homebrew!) alignment, my best is a 1:26.75. I feel there's a low 1:20's in the car, as it's a notchback fox body (3k lbs ish) with a 6.0L making good power.

Anyone have any advice on where to pick up some seconds? Video:

Site Admin / H2R Member. '91 NSX, '89 Fox Mustang, '95 Carrera
White size (and type) of tires are on the Fox, and do you have ABS? Here is a lap in my car from a few months back for reference (I have ABS, aero and 295 Bridgestone RE71RS):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv67NP2Syz8

My main critiques from the video are that you are entering some of the corners 'shallow' - you want to try to get a late apex (especially for our old dinosaur cars with big power) to maximize the corner exit. I know you're avoiding the bump after 3 but there is quite a bit of time to be gained by letting the car push wide out of 2/3. I don't take that bump fully in my red car while the track is in its current state, but I do with softer suspension cars.

For the entry into 7, 8 and 10, you could get further to the left edge of the track to "square off" the corner, keeping your minimum speeds up, and helping corner exit.

Otherwise, that's a huge time improvement, going from mid-30s down to a 1:26! Look forward to seeing that Fox body out there some day.
Wow that 240 SX moves!

My tires are 255 front and 275 rear on 18's. Nankang CR-S V2. No ABS, and I really struggle with nailing peak grip under decel, especially in the braking zone before 7.

I noticed you're much further left on the entry to 2 and apex later so I will try that. If I let the car go any wider after 3 the k member scrapes, but it will be interesting to see what changes due to changing the entry.

I get what you're saying about the entry into 7 & 10, excited to try that too! I had been trying hugging 7 more to the inside to shorten the track and I think it's quicker than whatever I was doing before.

Thanks for the advice!
Site Admin / H2R Member. '91 NSX, '89 Fox Mustang, '95 Carrera